Research Associate Position
Department of Oral Health Sciences
University of British Columbia, Vancouver Campus
Posted: April 26, 2013
A grant-funded research associate position is available beginning July 1, 2013, for one year. This position requires expertise in the field of Developmental Biology.
The successful candidate must possess:
- A PhD degree in biology with at least four years of post-doctoral experience in developmental biology.
- Ability to lead the lab in chicken embryo manipulation and molecular methods.
- Proven track record in chicken embryo method development.
- Ability to analyse the phenotypes in embryos, including early molecular changes and skeletal phenotypes.
- Ability to liaise with trainees in the lab and the technician regarding the research.
- Experience with cell culture, chicken embryo work, molecular biology and biochemical techniques.
- Experience in image capture with a variety of microscopes.
- Very good interpersonal skills with experience in setting and achieving goals.
- Ability to supervise and train undergraduate students, graduate students, post-doctoral research fellows as well as visiting scientists.
- Ability to arrange and present data using computer software such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and foster international collaborations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and organizational skills.
- Proven evidence of developmental biology research ability with high-impact papers.
In addition, the applicant must be able to conceive, initiate and manage research projects, draft scientific manuscripts and assist in grant writing. This is an 80% part-time position with a salary of $40,913.33 per year.
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply. We especially welcome applications from members of visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to engage productively with diverse communities. Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. Please indicate your current citizenship status in your cover letter.
Forward a letter of application (including the names and addresses of three referees) and CV by May 31, 2013 to:
UBC Faculty of Dentistry
2199 Wesbrook Mall, JBM 382A
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z3
Send an e-mail
Note: due to the large number of applications, we regret that we are unable to confirm receipt of submissions or provide status of competitions; only those applicants being interviewed will be contacted.