Mario A. Brondani
DDS, MSc, PhD
Assistant Professor, Oral Health Sciences
send an email
Dr. Brondani's three main areas of interest for research include:
- Dental geriatrics in dental education: the development and translation (validity) of dental psychometric measures and models of oral health in old age (theoretical and empirical conceptualization) in languages such as Chinese, Punjabi and Korean; and the exploration of dental geriatric topics such as ART (Atraumatic Restorative Treatment), interprofessionalism, and oral care.
- Public Dental Health (outreach initiatives) and Community Service Learning: the use of reflective journaling as an approach to enhance service learning and the impact of this methodology upon students and the community they serve; and the use of community-based research on issues of public health and access.
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (HPV, HIV) and the use of resources: the perceived barriers and facilitators of marginalized populations in accessing medical, social and dental services; the use of HIV rapid testing in dental offices as point of care.
- de Marchi R, Leal AF, Brondani MA, Padilha DM. Vulnerability and the psychosocial aspects of tooth loss in old age: a Southern Brazilian study. Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology 2012, in press.
- Brondani MA. Social responsibility in undergraduate dentistry via community service learning. Journal of Dental Education, 2012, in press.
- Aires M, Goncalves AV, Kottwitz CCB, de Morais EP, Brondani MA, Paskulin LMG. Aging, diversity and health: the Brazilian and the Canadian contexts. Acta Paulista Enfermagem, 2012; 24(6), in press.
- Brondani MA, MacEntee M, O’Connor D. E-mail as a data collection tool when interviewing older adults. International Journal of Qualitative Methods 2011; 10(3): 221-230.
- Brondani MA, He S. Translation methodology revised for oral health-related quality of life: the case of Chinese measures. Social Indicators Research, 2012, DOI: 10.1007/s11205-012-0012-1.
- Brondani MA, Paterson R. Teaching Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender issues in a dental curriculum: a multipurpose method. Journal of Dental Education, 2011, 75(10): 1354-1361.
- Brondani MA, Chen A, Chiu A, Gooch S, Ko K, Lee K, Maskan A, Steed B (2011). Undergraduate geriatric education through community service learning. Gerodontology (first published online: 16 Jan 2011 DOI: 10.1111/j.1741-2358.2010.00444.x).
- Brondani MA, Park PE (2011). Methadone and oral health--a brief review. J Dent Hyg 85:92-98.
- Brondani MA (2010). The voice of the elderly in accepting alternative perspectives on oral health. Community Dent Hlth 27:139-144.
- Brondani MA, Rossoff LP (2010). The "hot seat" experience: a multifaceted approach to the teaching of ethics in a dental curriculum. J Dent Educ 74:1220-1229.
- Brondani MA (2010). Students' reflective learning within a community-service learning dental module. J Dent Educ 74:628-636.
- Brondani MA (2010). Café discussion on oral sex, oral cancer, and HPV infection: summative report. Arch Sex Behav 39:1453-1455.
- Mello AL, Erdmann AL, Brondani MA (2010). Oral health care in long-term care facilities for elderly people in southern Brazil: a conceptual framework. Gerodontology 27:41-46.