March 20, 2013
The International Association for Dental Research (IADR) has bestowed its 2013 IADR Distinguished Scientist Award for Research in Oral Biology on Dr. Christopher Overall, professor in the department of Oral Biological & Medical sciences, Canada Research Chair in Metalloprotease Proteomics & Systems Biology.
This award, one of the highest honours bestowed by IADR, recognizes Prof. Overall as a highly influential scientist in oral biology for his life long achievements to the field.
Overall is the pioneer of degradomics—a term he coined for a highly specialized field of biochemistry that uses global approaches to study the makeup of all proteins in a tissue.
Moreover, Overall’s laboratory is the only one in Canada—and one of only a few in the world—that is studying the new field of “degradomics” to understand the role of matrix metalloproteinases. This systems biology approach is revealing new roles for proteases in vivo, new diagnostic indicators of disease, and new drug targets to treat disease.
He and his team recently discovered a master switch which could provide road map for treatment of arthritis and other inflammatory diseases like periodontitis. Read the UBC Media Release here >>.
The award was presented to Overall at the Opening Ceremonies of the Association’s 91st General Session & Exhibition on March 20, 2013, in Seattle, Washington.
Information About Dr. Christopher Overall
- Media coverage: Christopher Overall discusses his lab’s recent discovery on Global BC News
- News announcement: Master switch discovery could provide road map for treatment of arthritis and other inflammatory diseases
- News announcement: Christopher Overall honoured as a leader in the field of matrix biology
- Funding announcement: CIHR awards over $1.76M to UBC Dentistry researchers
- Funding announcement: Canadian Cancer Society awards UBC Dentistry faculty over $800k in research grants
- News announcement: Dr. Christopher Overall to Present at Global Science Meeting in Vancouver
- News announcement: Lifetime Achievement Award for Dr. Christopher Overall
- Visit The Overall Lab website here.
- Read the Impressions magazine article about Christopher Overall’s research, Dentistry Research: The Overall Approach.