Donald M. Brunette
BSc, MSc, PhD
Professor, Oral Biological and Medical Sciences
Send an e-mail
Post Secondary Education:
|B.Sc.||Chemistry||1966||University of Toronto|
|M.Sc.||Medical Biophysics||1968||University of Toronto|
|Ph.D.||Medical Biophysics||1972||University of Toronto|
- ORBI 430 Understanding and Evaluating Dental Research (Undergraduate)
- ORBI 500 Research Methods in Oral Biology (Graduate)
National Cancer Institute Fellow
International Association for Dental Research: Basic Research in Oral Science Award
W.W. Wood Award for Excellence in Dental Education
Honourary Professor, China Medical University
- Regulation of cell behaviour on implant surfaces by substratum topography
- Oral malodour
- Citation analysis
CURRENT GRANT SUPPORT:
- Medical Research Council of Canada Operating Grant "Regulation of cell behaviour by surface topography".
- Medical Research Council of Canada Maintenance Grant "Maintenance grant for electron and confocal microscope facility".
- Church and Dwight (Arm and Hammer) "Oral Malodour".
- The University of British Columbia University Industry Liaison Office "Prototype production".
PAST GRANT SUPPORT:
- British Columbia Health Research Foundation
- National Institute of Dental Research (USA)
- Vipont Pharmaceuticals
- International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants
- Church and Dwight
SERVICE ON REVIEW COMMITTEES:
- Medical Research Council of Canada (Dental Sciences, Fellowships, Site Visits)
- British Columbia Health Research Foundation (New Investigators, Established Investigators)
- Ontario Centre for Materials Research
- Commission of Dental Accreditation (Canada) (Site Visits)
- 6 Ph.D.
- 6 M.Sc.
Ph.D. Theses: University of Toronto, University of Manitoba, McGill University, Royal College of Dentists Fellowship
Critical thinking: Understanding and evaluating dental research". D.M. Brunette, Quintessence, Carol Stream, IL, 1996.
Brunette, D.M. and Till, J.E. A rapid method for the isolation of L-cell surface membranes using an aqueous two phase polymer system", J. Membrane Biol. 5:215-224, 1971.
Baker, R.M., Brunette, D.M., Mankovitz, R., Thompson, L.H., Whitemore, G.F., Simonovitch, L. and Till, J.E. Oubain-resistant mutants of mouse and hamster cells in culture", Cell 1:9-21, 1974.
Brunette, D.M., Melcher, A.H. and Moe, H.K. Culture and origin of epithelial-like and fibroblast-like cells from porcine periodontal ligament explants and cell suspensions", Arch. Oral Biol. 21:393-400, 1976.
Gould, T.R.L., Brunette, D.M. and Westbury, L. "The attachment mechanism of epithelial cells to titanium in vitro", J. Perio. Res. 16:611-616, 1981.
Boyko, G.A., Melcher, A.H. and Brunette, D.M. "Formation of new periodontal ligament by periodontal ligament cells implanted in vivo after culture in vitro", J. Perio. Res. 16:73-88, 1981.
Brunette, D.M., Kenner, G.S. and Gould, T.R.L. "Grooved titanium surfaces orient growth and migration of cells from human gingival explants", J. Dent. Res. 62:1045-1048, 1983.
Brunette, D.M. Mechanical stretching increases the number of epithelial cells synthesizing DNA in culture", J. Cell Science 69:35-45, 1984.
Brunette, D.M. "Fibroblasts on micromachined substrata orient hierarchically to grooves of different dimensions", Exp. Cell Res. 164:11-26, 1986.
Brunette, D.M. "The effects of surface topography on the behaviour of cells on implants", Int. J. of Oral Maxilliofacial Implantology", 3:231-246, 1988.
Chehroudi, B., Gould, T.R.L. and Brunette, D.M. "The role of connective tissue in inhibiting epithelial downgrowth on titanium-coated percutaneous implants", J. Biomedical Materials Res., 26:493-515, 1992.
Oakley, C. and Brunette, D.M. "Topographic compensation: guidance and directed locomotion of fibroblasts on grooved micromachined substrata in the absence of microtubules", Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton, 31:45-58, 1995.
Brunette, D.M. Effects of baking soda containing dentifrices on oral malodour" Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry, S19:522-532, 1996.