Student Housing

Campus Accommodation

Campus Accommodation: It is important that you organize your accommodation in advance. You can get housing information for prospective students, returning students and graduate students here.

UBC Student Housing: The UBC Student Housing website contains information about other on-campus housing opportunities that are available to all students, with specific information for Grad students. The residence overview provides some guidance as to which residence might be most appropriate for you. Please note: general on-campus housing is in high demand. You will have to apply very early to be able to receive a placement in time for your program start date. We recommend to apply for on-campus housing at the same time you apply for a graduate program or as early as possible when you know you will attend UBC!

Early Move-In

DMD Students begin their program approximately one week prior to the general UBC population and UBC Housing follows the general schedule when opening their residences for move-in. You can move in early. When accepting your offer of accommodation, be sure to speak with Housing about early move-in – they will advise you of the application procedures involved. Be aware that you will be assessed an additional week of rent.


Your move-out date is also important. The DMD Program’s first year ends in late-May. The cycle utilized by UBC Housing reflects a general UBC undergrad schedule with classes and exams ending at the end of April.

If you’ve been offered accommodation in what UBC Housing calls “Winter Housing” (Fairview, Gage), you will need to immediately contact UBC Housing about extending your residency contract. Proof of your extended academic year can be obtained through UBC Dentistry Student Affairs ( Ideally, this is done prior to or early in your resident-contract.

If you need to move out earlier than the specified move-out date (i.e., directly after exams), inform UBC Housing at least 2 months in advance. Proof of the DMD Program’s academic end-date can be obtained through UBC Dentistry Student Affairs (

Important note: Attempt to ensure that the residence contract you sign lists your early move-in date and your late move-out date. Confirmation of these dates may come after you’ve signed your contract. While it’s recommended that you have confidence that UBC Housing will make the necessary changes to your file, it’s a good idea to check approximately a month prior to occupancy. 

Family/Couples Accommodation

It is vital that prospective students apply for Family/Couples accommodation well in advance of the commencement of their studies. This means applying before you learn if you’ve been accepted into the program – likely before you even submit your application. You can access family housing information here.

Off-Campus Housing

Neighbourhood cultures, living costs, and transit routes are important factors when looking for housing off-campus. UBC is served by 13 bus routes with connections to destinations throughout Metro Vancouver. All full-time students receive a reasonably-priced TransLink Compass Pass that provides unlimited travel on bus, SkyTrain, and SeaBus. The cost of the pass is included in university fees.

For more information on the Compass Pass please visit:

For more information about locations near the University and how to go about finding accommodation, please visit


Specific questions about UBC Housing services, rates, contracts, etc. should be directed to UBC Housing (